As I travel across the state and work with principals, I observe the passionate love and care for children, the compassion to motivate and influcence the adults that bring forth great learning to students, and the will to be the very best to orchestrate all of the compounding factors that make the work one of the most demanding, exhausting, yet exhilarating jobs. What I also observe are weary people, who as individuals with little support, less resources, and enhanced job descriptions are exhausted trying to work miracles. What I like to call, working “More, more, with less, less.”
MEMSPA as an organization has a mission as a community of learners dedicated to advocating and supporting leading learners! One of the ways that MEMSPA supports its principals is by providing premiere professional learning. Why not consider joining the over 80 Pre-school through high school leaders who have already completed Leadership Matters as part of cohorts 1-5? Become a part of an elite group of learning leaders who have strengthed their leadership skills, built a network of support, and applied skills and strategies learned that enhance the work to a higher level of integrity, courage, and reflection.
Here are five reasons to apply to become a member of cohort six of Leadership Matters:
1. Learning! The days of the principalship focused on being just a manager are long gone. No longer is the work just about the 4 B’s-buildings, boilers, books, and buses, but about building the learning and leading capacity, the motivation and influence of others as leading learners. The themes of Leadership Matters focus on Courage and Integrity, building a collaborative culture, Intentionality, and reflection. Learn the essential skills and strategies that a leading learner needs, to provide the right amount of accountability and support.
2. Networking! As a cohort group, you will learn with and from each other. A group of elementary, middle level, and high school administrators, teacher leaders, and aspiring administrators who hail from rural, suburban, and urban districts. This diversity allows for a cross culture of different perspectives, ideas, and support that is varied and enhances the learning experience.
3. Coaching! I call this a monthly gift! The job of a principal is lonely and there is not always someone available who you trust to provide perspective, support and assist you in thinking through problems and brainstorming solutions. The program provides a one-hour coaching call each month with one of the learning facilitators.
4. Resources! The books and articles used in the program are relevant to the work! Learn essential protocols that you can apply to your work immediately. The facilitation methods during the learning episodes are engaging and can be used back at your school with your own staff.
5. Caring! You are the number one cheerleader for your school and your teachers and staff. It is time to do something for you! As a leader it is imperative that you model the importance of learning and staying current! Registration for Leadership Matters includes attendance at MEMSPA’s Summer Leadership Institute next August!
Won’t you consider joining Debbie McFalone and me and become a member of cohort six of Leadership Matters? Registration costs can be paid for with Title 2 Professional Learning dollars, school district funds and a reasonable monthly payment plan can be accessed as well. Principal’s need support! The work is more difficult then ever! Supporting learning is essential! Become a part of Leadership Matters Cohort Six! Click the link to register! Leadership Matters Registration